City landmark – returns to former glory

It is not uncommon to see church buildings re-purposed for alternate uses and as many locals have witnessed over the past 6 months new life has been breathed into 164 Murray Street, Hobart, once known as Murray Street Chapel. With the assistance of a shopfront improvement grant by the Hobart City Council, a modest yet stylish face lift has been given to its façade and modifications made internally for the use as offices.

Built circa 1917 the church was a practising place of worship by the Christian Brethren through to 1998 at which time the property was purchased by the current owners Tim & Karen Smith and has been used for various uses. Tim embarked on refurbishing the property mid-2018, engaging Queensland Architect Sean Gill to create and design a complete new entrance and associated front features. With local architect Andrew Francis overseeing the interior design and construction carried out by Stephen Salter Builders. Offering two levels of accommodation the premises are now available for lease as offices, with open plan floor plates over two levels allowing new tenants the ability to design their own fitout to suit.

Key features include:
— Key city location with high vehicle and foot traffic
— Level street access via external ramp
— Architecturally designed entrance with new internal staircase
— Lettable areas:- Ground 114m² First Floor 115m² approximately
— New kitchen & toilet amenities including accessible toilet
— Retained original features, good natural light, air conditioning
— Rear storage included and good signage opportunities (subject to approvals)
— Asking Rent $80,000 pa plus outgoings + GST

Contact Heather Mason for further details.